I have been in the field of mineral and metallurgical processing engineering for over 20 years. My experience includes conducting and leading metallurgical efforts in the mining industry along with research and development in bench-scale, pilot plant and industrial implementation.
The strength of my experience is that it has been process-based and not metal/mineral-based. In other words, I have had the opportunity to work on a variety of metals/minerals which has helped me to deeply understand the physical and chemical processes and consequently, increased my problem solving skills, caused me to think out of the box and prepared me to be a better engineer and supervisor.
Another important aspect of my experience is that I have developed my multidisciplinary knowledge such as modeling, automation and control, CFD, artificial intelligence, and environmental chemistry. I believe that a metallurgist/mineral processing engineer needs to know the basic of other sciences to be able to apply them in process development and optimization and also successfully manage a multidisciplinary team. My experience could be summarized as follows:
- Mineral and metallurgical processes including comminution, physical separation, flotation, leaching, SX-EW, dewatering
- Working on numerous metals/minerals including copper, gold, lead, zinc, iron, molybdenum, manganese, titanium, zircon, niobium, aluminum, germanium, titanium, quartz, feldspar, mica, phosphate, lithium, kyanite, tungsten, aggregates, kaolin, monazite, coal, acid mine drainage.
- Managing and monitoring multidisciplinary projects including flowsheet development, optimization, automation and control, data analysis, budgeting, scheduling
- Mineral processing operation plant optimization and troubleshooting
- Supervising, mentoring and teaching technical staff
- Applying and teaching models and simulators such as METSIM, JKSimMet, USIM PAC, MODSIM, LIMN, AggFlow, SiuCoalOpt (Programmed by myself)
- Working with private companies to address their specific needs including developing new processes, and improving current operations
- Writing technical reports, proposals, budget justifications
My core values include:
- I think integrity in research and data analysis are vital
- I always look for new ideas, continuously evaluate and update myself and my group
- I have courage to say what I think especially when challenging difficulties
- I love to be challenged
- I enjoy working in cross-functional teams
- I believe that research must be in the service of industries